A couple of weeks ago, I was asked to review a set of BassBuds headphones which I was more than happy to do. I wasn't sure what to think since I had never heard of the brand but I'm always willing to give everyone a chance to impress me.
I consider myself a headphone connoisseur since I am constantly reading reviews on the latest and greatest styles and I also buy at least 2 or 3 pairs a year. I think it's the DJ in me that is always in pursuit of that perfect sound which combines clear highs, solid mids and deep bass. I very rarely find a headphone that lives up to my high standard and almost never find an in-ear style headphone that keeps me interested for more than a few minutes.
When I first received the BassBuds, I was very impressed with the packaging. I was a little worried that they were more concerned with the look and style than the actual sound but I was pleasantly surprised in just a few short minutes. I'll get there in a minute.
In regards to the actual style, I received the 2012 Fashion Collection's 'Smooth' which is a royal blue with white earbuds and a brownish copper wiring. Blue is my favorite color so that worked out well but I wasn't a huge fan of the wire color at first. I would have preferred all blue or black wiring but I will admit the copperish color grew on me and I soon realized it worked well with the blue. I think I just wasn't used to seeing something that different since most headphones I've seen are either white or black wiring.
Now on to the sound. I had a little trouble with the original earbuds that were connected since they kept falling out which was a little bit annoying. This also wasn't helping with the sound quality but when I pushed them all the way in I could tell they had some potential. Luckily, they included a variety of options and sizes for me to choose from and I ended up with Large foam earbuds which fit snugly in my ear and also increased the noise isolation and bass.
BassBuds is a UK based company so they are making their mark on the other side of the pond currently but you can order and ship to the US through their website www.bassbuds.net.
Pricing is in UK Pounds but the price for the units I tested is about $85 after the exchange rate. That is a solid price based on what I've seen and heard. I would expect these BassBuds to go for $150 or more when compared to similar quality units. I fully expect BassBuds to make an impact in the US very soon and I expect them to take some market share from some of the other companies that have been selling too many overpriced, lower quality headphones. They will need to step up their quality once people get their first listen of BassBuds headphones and realize they can get high quality sound at a competitive price.
- Intergrated Microphone with Call/MP3 Controller
- Answer/End Call Control
- Play/ Pause your MP3 Player
- Skip Forwards and Backwards through your music
- Activate voice control commands.
- Compatible with all Smart Phones
- Crystal-clear HD audio via the Advanced Crystaltronics Sound Technology
- MADE WITH SWAROVSKI ® ELEMENTS
- Precision-cut, high quality, light-weight and balanced aluminium housing
- Anti-Tangle, durable, double-wrapped cable
- FREE Stylish and Protective Storage Bag
- FREE Black, White and Memory Foam Earbuds in 3 sizes
- Gold-plated 3.5mm audio jack for optimum connectivity
- One of the largest earphone colour ranges in the world!
- Choose from our Classics Collection or 2012 Fashion Collection
- Ultra distortion-free bass and crisp treble
- Noise Isolation: Immerse in the music
- 9mm Dynamic Speakers with Neodynium Magnet
- Earphone Housing is made with high grade aluminium
- Sound waves emitted in the sound chamber are specifically tuned and directed towards the front chamber housing entering the ear canal with optimal bass and balance in treble
- Speaker diaphragm is composed of PET materials and the diaphragm patterns are uniquely designed to maximize the performance of the micro speaker with minimal distortion
- Micro Filter for extra audio purity
- Wide Frequency Response